Artwalk Wakefield has been running for the last 11 years, but in 2019 we want to make it bigger and better than ever.
We already have some amazing artists and venues booked in for the next year of Artwalks, and now we want to reach out to new artists and groups looking for a space to do something. We want the city to burst with activity, so we are looking for artists, collectives, performers, students, and community groups who would like to showcase their work across Wakefield city centre during an Artwalk. Please note that this is an unpaid opportunity (Artwalk has always been about independent events coming together for mutual benefit) however, there is no artist fee to take part. If you think we can help you with something you’re planning by raising the event’s profile etc then get in touch.
In order to streamline the process of matching artists and performers with venues, we’ll be regularly opening and closing this opportunity. So don’t worry if you’d like to be involved but aren’t ready to apply now, you’ll have the opportunity again later in the year. Sign up to our mailing list and follows us on social media for the latest announcements.
In addition to our regular Artwalks, over the summer of 2019 Artwalk will be co-producing Index: A fringe festival during Yorkshire Sculpture International, 22 June – 29 September 2019. Two extended Artwalks will take place during this time:
• 31 July – 04 August
• 25 September – 29 September
Deadline: Sunday 02 June
Successful proposals notified: Week commencing 10 June
There are a number of outcomes we’d like our programme to achieve:
• To engage and delight the public
• To engage people who don’t think art is ‘for them’
• To support emerging artists and creative practitioners
• To celebrate Wakefield’s history and culture
• To celebrate and support diversity
• To encourage Wakefield residents to feel proud of their city
Successful applications could be complete projects or precursors for larger or future projects. You can apply to perform, showcase your artwork/project in a specific venue or it could be an outdoor activity. It can last for a few hours or could be installed for 4 months, we are open to all proposals.
There are a number of ways people can be involved all at different levels. We try to cater to your needs and make it as easy as possible for you to be profiled at our events.
You could take part in Artwalk by:
• Organising a solo exhibition of your work
• Launching your book and doing readings
• Performing poetry and spoken word
• Doing a dance performance
• Hosting a heritage tour
• Running a fundraising art sale
• Running a drop-in workshop
• Selling your artwork or products at a table top sale
• Showcasing a recent project you’ve organised or taken part in
• …and so much more
If your proposal is successful we will work to match you with a suitable space and you will have support from Artwalk producers and volunteers with logistics and setup/install. Please include details of the support you anticipate requiring in your proposal.